Are you nourishing your brain?
Feeding your brain naturally with healthy foods, supplements, essential oils, avoiding certain foods can boost your cognitive health! Your brain communicates with the rest of your body using neurons, sending out impulses via ions and neurotransmitters that tell your body what to do, how to feel, and what to think. Shouldn’t we make sure it is strong enough and healthy enough to take on those responsibilities?
Here are tips you can take to keep your brain in top condition, no matter what your age might be:
Click on picture to order products
Taking at least one of these supplements will help. If I had to pick only 2 it would be the Ashwagandha and the Turmeric.
*Exercise regularly, as exercise has been shown to keep oxygen flowing to the brain and thus has a protective effect against degenerative brain diseases. Reading is also a great exercise for the brain.
*Take probiotics, which will boost your immune system and prevent infections. Your gut is your “second brain” it is a must to make sure our gut flora is good working condition! Read more on gut-brain connection!
*Take steps to keep your brain active. Talking with friends is one way to keep your brain active and so are activities like crossword puzzles and sudoku.
*Don’t eat starchy carbohydrates. Instead, opt for plenty of vegetables, dark-skinned fruits, nuts, seeds and sprouted grains as well as oily wild fish, grass-fed meats and unprocessed poultry.
*Reducing stress is another key factor because stress can literally shrink the brain. In particular, stress can cause the hippocampus to shrink, which is the part of the brain responsible for thinking and memory. This is why regular exercise and other stress reduction measures are very important.
*Add Essential oils! The benefits to adding them influence mood and emotions, protects neurons, penetrate cell membrane, protects against the effects of stress chemicals on the brain and supports neurotransmitter communications.
Avoid these ingredients for a healthier brain function.
1) Sugar: Acts like an opiate on the brain. Sugar overworks the adrenals and contributes to stress. Highly addictive; spikes blood glucose; increases risk for diabetes & elevated triglycerides.
2) Processed Flour: Nutrient devoid; acts like an opiate on brain; leads to chemistry disruption; contributes to stress and hormone imbalance; elevates blood glucose and triglycerides.
3) Gluten containing grains: Highly allergic to many people these grains irritate & inflame the GI tract causing nutrient mal-absorption. Stimulates brain as an opiate; create lethargy and brain fog, agitation & thyroiditis. In addition many people are now reacting to even the gluten variety of free grains so removal of these may even be necessary.
4) Low quality Omega 6 fats: This type of fats are all highly unstable and become rancid quickly which creates oxidation and leads to brain inflammation and cell damage corn oil, soy oil, canola oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil, cottonseed oil.
5) Soy: Phytates in un-fermented soy cause nutrient mal-absorption (esp. zinc, iodine & iron) and interfere with thyroid hormone production, technically called endocrine disruptors. Research suggests soy increases estrogen levels too. Small amounts of fermented soy (tempe, Tamari, Miso) are better choices, but should be eaten on a limited basis and even then many are reactive to soy and find relief from symptoms once it is removed from their diet completely.
LifeLong Vitality Supplements Is my personal choice!
I personally use these supplements for my over all health! I can not believe how great I feel using them. It has everything you need to support the cells of skin, bone, brain, liver, digestion. etc.
Watch this video about Dr. Josh Axe describing the awesome benefits of these supplements.
You can buy them retail HERE Or I can help you save 25% off when you purchase a wholesale membership to doTERRA. Save 25% on all their essential oils, supplements, spa products, skin care.(Membership is $35 but if you purchase a kit, the membership is free. Here is the list of kits.) I just love these products! contact me for more information. Or you can do it yourself by following the step by step HERE!
In Summary, we can’t always consume the full proper nourishment that our body and brain needs through food alone. Essential oils, organic foods, unprocessed foods, and supplements can help us to achieve a healthier lifestyle. But you must apply it and stay true to it to get the full affects!
Like a car needs gas, water and oil to run….well you get the idea!
Dr. Josh Axe;s Bone Broth video on how it can benefit you!