Heartburn afflicts more than 40% of adult Americans.
When someone suffers frequent or painful heartburn bouts, they are often diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD.
There remain widespread misconceptions about the underlying cause of heartburn.
Mass-advertising of drugs such as Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid has convinced GERD sufferers that to relieve symptoms, they need to block production of acid in the stomach.
But the human stomach must operate in acidic conditions to digest food properly. And long-term use of GERD drugs (proton pump inhibitors) involves serious health risks—ranging from kidney and cardiovascular disease to increased mortality.
A common cause of GERD is a weakened sphincter muscle at the end of the esophagus that functions to keep food and acid in the stomach. When the sphincter fails to close properly, stomach contents back up into the esophagus, causing heartburn and increasing esophageal cancer risk.
A new weapon has been identified that targets GERD symptoms by helping to neutralize acid in the esophagus, while leaving stomach pH balance intact.
Human studies have demonstrated that this formulation’s compounds safely neutralize esophageal acidity—without disrupting gastric acid production. There were also clinically-measured improvements in esophageal peristalsis, which helps further prevent reflux.
Scientists zeroed in on three natural compounds that, working together, are perfectly suited for a safe, esophageal-protecting effect.
First, calcium carbonate has long been shown to act as an acid buffer and to promote neutralization of acid. Compared to swallowed minerals that work on the stomach, calcium carbonate in a chewable tablet form has been shown to reduce acidity in the esophagus.
Second, magnesium carbonate adds protection by neutralizing acid. It also provides supplementary magnesium—a nutrient that is frequently eliminated from the body through the use of proton pump inhibitor drugs.
Third, extract of licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) has been found to inhibit GERD symptoms. Licorice has been long used in the treatment of ulcers, and modern biochemical studies have now recognized its potent anti-inflammatory properties.
Relieving Heartburn Without the Risks of PPI Drugs
- Due to the mistaken belief that excess stomach acid causes heartburn or GERD, a broad range of potentially deadly drugs are taken daily that reduce stomach acidity. However, the human stomach requires extreme acidity to work properly.
- Calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract target esophageal acid without disrupting gastric acid production.
- Human studies have shown that calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract safely neutralize esophageal acid, improve esophageal motility to prevent acid reflux, and improve protection of esophageal tissue.
Life Extensions has formulated a chewable supplement to help with gastroesophageal, reflux disease or GERD called EsophaCool!
Benefits at a Glance
- Provides fast-acting relief for digestive discomfort
- Encourages a healthy inflammatory response in the esophagus
- Promotes healthy pH balance in the esophagus
- Supports esophageal motility (muscle health)
- Replenishes the vital nutrient magnesium
click pic if you like to order a bottle
Please continue to read more on this subject..
Article by Michael Downey, Life Extensions